HOUSE BOAT FEATURES
Indraprastham houseboat takes you through the heart land of Kerala . A journey that bares the indescribable beauty, the very soul of kerala.our kettuvallom is another attraction – only natural and local materials are used for the interiors – coir matted decks and canopies made of split bamboo and palm fronds . This simplicity also reflected in the meals that our cook serves you on board our houseboats, which on a typical day would include among other divine dishes ,the famed karimeen & fresh water prawns. To help you experience the beauty of the backwaters in all its totality, our kettuvalloms come with extra awnings. Which not only give you the best of the breeze , but also enable you to get a better view of the unique water world of simple joys and pleasant surprises before you.
Features of Houseboat Tourism
- The houseboats are be managed by 3 men – a captain, an engine driver and a cook. All the staffs are from in and around Kuttanad with training in hospitality aspects. While They are speaking the local language – Malayalam, they are able to get other languages.
- The food is normally prepared on a fixed menu – if individual preferences are not intimated in advance. Kerala traditional food will be served.
Most of the products used for the conversion of the Kettuvallam into a houseboat are traditional and eco friendly – bamboo mat for roofing, coir mat on floors, bamboo ply for the walls etc.
- Most of the houseboats have 2 twin bedded rooms, with attached tiled toilets (with WC, hand – shower, wash basin), kitchen with LPG stove, sit-out with chairs and a sundeck.. Honeymooners would be attracted by the one-bedroom houseboat during the full moon days.
- The houseboats which are powered by inboard engines are allowed to move in the canals, lakes and rivers only till 5.30 pm, after which they are anchored in a safe lake. (5.30 pm to 6 am is the time used by the local people for fishing, in their small country boats).
- The houseboats are certified by the Department of Tourism, Government of Kerala.