Alappuzha sight seeing
Champakulam Kalloorkadu St. Mary’s Forane Church (also called Champakulam Valia Palli) is one of the oldest Christian churches in India and the mother church of almost all Catholic Syrian churches in Aleppey District. Believed to be established in AD 427.Rebuilt many times and the many rock inscriptions found around the church tell us about the history of the church. The open air Rock Cross at Champakulam church is one of the most ancient ones with clear documentation of its antiquity up to AD 1151.
Champakulam boat race
The Champakulam Moolam Boat Race is the oldest     and most popular vallam kali (snake boat race) in Kerala state of south India. The race is held on the River Pampa on Moolam day (according to the Malayalam Era M.E) of the Malayalam month Midhunam, the day of the installation of the deity at the Ambalappuzha Sree Krishna Temple. The race was believed to be started in 1545 AD.
R-block,C-block Paddy fields
Due to the steep decline in the price of rice during 1920 to 1940 the reclamation activities become lethargic, but they gained momentum again in the early 1940s. During this period, in order to increase the agricultural output, Government initiated Grow More Food campaiagn and started providing incentives to encourage new reclamations. The advent of electric motors made the reclamations relatively easier, cheaper and less risky as compared to the earlier periods. The last tract of the reclamations namely Q, S and T block were made during this period by Thomman Joseph Murickummoottil (Muricken Outhachan). He did cultivation in a very large extent of reclaimed area and achieved such a success that he was crowned as “Krishi Rajan” (farmer king) by the then prime minister of India, Jawaharlal Nehru.
Muricken was born as “Murickummoottil Joseph Thommen”, the first word being his family name. He had two sisters, and the burden of taking care of his family fell early on his shoulders when his father died.
He was a devout Catholic who built seven churches in his home state of Kerala. Muricken was one of the few who had the rare opportunity to have an audience with the Pope in his private chambers. This was on June 6, 1960.
Karumadi Kuttan is a statue of Buddha made from granite.The statue is unique since it is half broken. Legend has it that an elephant charged towards this statue and broke right half of the statue. From the appearance of the statue, the legend does seem to be true. The statue dates back to 10th century.
Proper road facility was made to the site after the visit of Sri. Dalai Lahma during 1970. Now the site is sunder the control of Archeological department. Our ancisstors had told us that, there was no building or covering at that time, and this idol was sitting on the open ground nearly 100 years ago. People and animals used to cross through the karumady river just front of this idol, and one elephant going for Thakazhi temple festival, happend get annoyed and charged at the idol, loosing its left hand portion. Later on the tomb was built and further during 1962 the main bridge connecting Thakazhy and Ambalapuzha came in to being.